Team BFRP is quickly approaching cruising altitude in the fabrication phase of our effort, and today we got into a definite Bluff Groove. But first we had to contend with a problem that (literally) surfaced on the substrate: we discovered that the black-paint block letters on the first two columns were not adhering properly after drying. This was addressed by rolling on a urethane coat over both the text and the background. And based on our visual reference trip to the site yesterday (see Dec. 6 blog) we also decided to add more more warmth to the background tint.
Once that was done we got down to brass tacks, painting the bottom half of the wordy timeline and part of a panel containing one of two silhouettes of Robert Cravens. The sequence of tasks is outlined below.
|First, we darkened the background tint using sponges. Katherine and Nick apply the finishing touches.|
|Next, the 15 ft high panel is stapled to the studio wall.|
|Then we project text and images onto the fabric at the proper scale.|
|Finally, we paint. Tanya, Meredith, Frances, and Nick in action.|